Into the Future of the Disability Royal Commission - Calendar of 2020 Events Released
The Disability Royal Commission was announced in April 2019. Marsh Care Solutions understand that many Disability Service Providers have already been impacted by a number of sector commissions, investigations and reforms, with Providers monitoring the Aged Care Royal Commission closely. The Aged Care Royal Commission reminded all Care sector providers to consider:
- Initiating investigations into their records to ensure all matters identified have been adequately addressed and recorded
- Creating taskforces including legal and financial counsel to assist with response to the Royal Commission
- Notifying insurers of any allegations against their organisation which may turn into an insurance claim
- Reviewing and updating policies and procedures to ensure their adequacy, completeness, and to ensure they remain current and effective
- Educating staff, senior management and board members
These are in conjunction along with several other initiatives to ensure continued quality of the delivery of their services and ensuring the safety of all involved.
The Commissioners have not yet made a formal request to providers to provide information about violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability, however have released a calendar of events for 2020, which is available at https://disability.royalcommission.gov.au/about/Documents/disability-royal-commission-calendar-of-events.-jan-jun-2020.pdf
The focus of February 2020 is on Engagement with Australia’s First Nations Peoples.
Marsh Care Solutions continue to work with our clients to implement systems which protect against abuse and neglect of vulnerable people in care, and to educate insurers on supporting this necessary and important industry.
Should you have any questions or wish to discuss your risk and insurance concerns, please contact Lyle Steffensen.