Commercial Insurance Pricing Increased for Fifth Consecutive Quarter in Q4 2018; All Global Regions Record Increased Pricing
New York | February 25, 2019
Marsh today released its Global Insurance Market Index for the fourth quarter of 2018. Highlights include:
- Average commercial insurance prices increased by 2% in Q4 2018, the steepest increase since the survey began in 2012 and the fifth consecutive quarter of average increases.
- Composite pricing in Q4 increased in all global regions, the first time all regions have reported an increase in the same quarter.
- Regionally, Pacific had the largest pricing increases in the index (>10%), a trend that has continued for seven quarters. The UK, Continental Europe and Latin America all reported average pricing increases of at least 1%.
- Globally, pricing for property risks increased by almost 4% on average, slightly above the rates recorded in the previous three quarters. Casualty prices declined nearly 1% on average, continuing a trend started in 2013.
- Average pricing in financial and professional lines increased across all global regions, most notably in Australia. The increases were primarily on directors and officers insurance.
Commenting on the findings, Dean Klisura, President, Global Placement and Specialties at Marsh, said: “Although the last quarter of 2018 saw average prices increase in all regions, the increases were generally modest. While pricing for property and financial and professional lines have increased globally for five straight quarters, market capacity remains strong in most geographies.”
Marsh is the world’s leading insurance broker and risk advisor. With around 40,000 colleagues operating in more than 130 countries, Marsh serves commercial and individual clients with data-driven risk solutions and advisory services. Marsh is a business of Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With annual revenue over $17 billion, Marsh McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses:. Marsh, Guy Carpenter, Mercer and Oliver Wyman. For more information, visit mmc.com, follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter or subscribe to BRINK.