Architects and Engineers
Why Professional Liability?
Architect and engineering professionals take a number of years to attain their professional designation and build their reputation. However, with the ever-increasing litigious nature of society, it is prudent for architects and engineering professionals to protect their reputation and assets against claims made by clients for negligent acts, errors, or omissions in connection with the professional services they provide. Professional Liability insurance provides protection against such allegations, even if they are frivolous.
This professional liability coverage, exclusively developed and provided by Marsh Canada, will provide architects and engineering professionals with protection against allegations, defense of civil suits, and any awards that may be made against them for:
- Errors made in the rendering of professional services.
- Failure to perform or render professional service.
The coverage provided is on a claims-made basis which means that the policy will only respond where the claims made against you occur and are reported to the insurers during the period of insurance. The policy carries limits of liability up to $10,000,000.
Features and Benefits
Marsh Canada’s Architects and Engineers Professional Liability facility has a number of distinguishing features which will enhance the level of protection. Coverage can include:
- First Dollar Defence Coverage.
- Defence Costs Outside the Limit Insured.
- Full Retroactive Coverage.
- Pollution Coverage.
- Joint Venture Coverage.
- Loss of Documents.
- Disciplinary Coverage.
- Worldwide Coverage.
Examples of Claims Settlements
- Negligent design on commercial new building resulting in failure to meet government safety requirement — settled at $140,000.
- Failure to seek planning permission — settled at $16,000.
- Inadequate supervision of renovation or construction works — settled at $180,000.
- Negligent site layout — settled at $37,000.