At Marsh Canada Limited we have developed a proprietary insurance program specifically for the Professional Liability needs of Law Firms. This program is offered with limits and features that few, if any, other brokers can deliver. Furthermore, this program works in conjunction with the mandatory coverage written through the Lawyers Professional Indemnity Company providing integrated coverage and exceptional value.
Who is Eligible?
The Lawyers Excess Professional Liability Program is available to all law firms with head offices in Ontario, Canada. There are no restrictions as to the size of your firm or as to the type(s) of law you practice.
Why Buy This Program?
Coverage has been specifically designed for the legal industry and the professional services rendered in the course of acting as a lawyer. This results in broader coverage and less risk of "gaps" in your insurance protection.
We are able to offer significantly higher limits above the mandatory coverage - up to $59 million (with higher limits available upon request) above the mandatory coverage. This ensures that your firm can structure an insurance package that suits your specific requirements.
The program offers many value added services - particularly in the area of claims management. The program can assist you with all of your insurance needs - from initial analysis and program structure, through claims handling / administration and other on-going risk management issues.
The program is managed by Marsh Canada Limited. Our size, experience in the legal industry, and worldwide presence mean that we can bring significant experience and expertise to assist you in your insurance needs. We also conduct extensive research into the carriers behind this program on an ongoing basis of which all meet Marsh’s minimum financial guidelines.
What is Included?
The coverage provided under The Lawyers Excess Professional Liability Program has been created to meet the specific needs of the Canadian Legal Industry. Some of the highlights include:
- This is a Professional Liability policy (sometimes know as an Errors and Omissions policy). It covers you in your capacity as a lawyer.
- It is an "excess" policy, which means it sits on top of your mandatory policy and provides at least the same terms and conditions as the "underlying" wording.
- Coverage is for all lawyers in your firm, acting in their professional capacity. This allows for simple administration of the coverage and reduces the fear of one of your lawyers not being covered due to an administrative error.
- It is a broad "manuscript" wording—this means that is has been uniquely written for this program and the legal environment in which you operate. Through this process we have included additional coverage, such as personal liability (which covers risks such as libel and slander), which may not be provided by the mandatory policy.
- It allows for limits up to $59 million (with higher limits available upon request).
- We offer payment plans and financing options. This allows your firm flexibility.