Notice- Rate Changes Go Into Effect June 1, 2017.
When working within Union Pacific Railroad’s right of way, your company will be required to obtain Railroad Protective Liability Insurance for the project.
For RRPLI application requests, you may be asked by your insurance carrier to provide train movement information. Due to the circumstances of September 11, 2001, for security and safety reasons, Union Pacific Railroad employees no longer supply train information to parties outside the Railroad. The major insurance companies are aware of this situation.
Obtaining this insurance for smaller projects can be a time-consuming and costly purchase for the contractor. With the Railroad Protective Liability Program made available by Union Pacific through a national broker, your company may save both time and money. In as little time as it takes to complete a single-page application and send a check, the Railroad Protective Liability coverage is in place. We consider this program a time saver in obtaining Railroad Protective Liability insurance.
PLEASE READ - there have been some modifications/enhancements to this site and the Railroad Protective Liability Application.
- This program is for projects Under $10,000,000 and that do not exceed 24 months.
- For projects over $10,000,000, please contact the Marsh Team to request a quote.
- If you are utilizing an old application, please begin to use the most updated version to ensure your request is fulfilled accurately and promptly.
- The Railroad Protective Liability Program for new bridge construction, structural repair to bridges, widening of bridges, bridge demolition, and projects over $10,000,000 require the completion of the Bridge - Large Project Application to obtain a quote.
- A Union Pacific assigned Project # and or Folder # must be provided before coverage can be issued. This information can be found on your crossing/right of entry agreement or can be obtained by contacting your Union Pacific representative.
- Boring projects with a diameter of 4 feet or more must be submitted for review.
Sample Insurance Requirements
Licensee shall, at its own sole cost and expense, procure the following kinds of insurance and promptly pay when due, all premiums for that insurance. The following insurance shall be kept in force during the life of this Agreement:
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
- Business Automobile Liability Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance
- Railroad Protective Liability Insurance (during construction or maintenance only)
The limits of coverage under each of the required insurance policies will be based on the activity and risk involved with the specific project. Specific insurance requirements will be provided to you in the agreement covering your project when it is approved by the Railroad.
If you elect to take advantage of the program, please do not send your application for this insurance coverage to the Union Pacific Railroad. Please make your premium check payable to Marsh, LLC and send with your application via US Mail (do not send via Express Mail to P.O. BOX) to:
P.O. Box 846015
Dallas, TX 75284
If you need the Railroad Protective Insurance immediately, you can either email or fax a copy of the completed application and a copy of your check to the email addresses or fax numbers listed below.
Contact Marsh with any coverage or premium questions.
Phone: (800) 729-7001 (Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm US Central)
Fax: (816) 556-4362
Attn: Donna McLaughlin
Phone: (816) 556-4226
Attn: Debbie Jennings