Global Commercial Insurance Pricing up 8% in Third Quarter
New York | November 08, 2019
Today released its Global Insurance Market Index for the third quarter of 2019. Key findings include:
- Average commercial insurance pricing increased 8% in the third quarter of 2019, the largest increase since the survey began in 2012, and the eighth consecutive quarter of average price increases.
- Globally, on average, pricing for property risks increased by 10%; financial and professional lines rose by nearly 14%; and casualty increased by 1%.
- Composite pricing in the third quarter increased in all geographic regions for the fourth consecutive quarter, largely driven by rates in directors and officers (D&O) coverage and property.
- For the fourth consecutive quarter, all regions reported composite pricing increases. The Pacific region had the largest composite pricing increase in the index (19%), a quarterly trend that has continued for almost three years. Pacific composite pricing was driven by increases in D&O rates, as well as increases in property rates.
- The US, UK, and Asia all reported average pricing increases of 5% or higher.
Commenting on the findings, Dean Klisura, President, Global Placement at Marsh, said: “Global insurance pricing increased 8% in Q3 2019, as the market continues to firm in most regions. Global pricing has now increased every quarter for nearly two years, and market capacity is starting to show signs of tightening in certain geographies and lines of business.”
Marsh is the world’s leading insurance broker and risk advisor. With around 40,000 colleagues operating in more than 130 countries, Marsh serves commercial and individual clients with data-driven risk solutions and advisory services. Marsh is a business of Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With annual revenue over $17 billion, Marsh McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses: Marsh, Guy Carpenter, Mercer and Oliver Wyman. Follow Marsh on Twitter @MarshGlobal; LinkedIn; Facebook; and YouTube, or subscribe to BRINK.