Numerous steps can be taken to safeguard properties and workforces, both before and after a storm hits. Such practices should be core to your emergency plans and procedures, and designed specifically for facilities and operations at risk.
When faced with a catastrophic storm, your organization’s preparation, response, and recovery plans should include:
- Established communication protocols for internal stakeholders, employees, vendors, customers, emergency responders, and claims management team members (yours and your insurers).
- Defined response and recovery team responsibilities, including how to quickly activate the team.
- Incident command system protocols.
- Employee safety and humanitarian assistance plans.
- Hardening of facilities against damage and securing of exterior equipment.
- Monitoring of evacuation orders and planning for an organized shutdown of facilities.
- Ensuring the availability of emergency power and provisions (i.e., shutters, pumps, tarps, fuel, water).
- Business continuity and supply chain contingency plans.
The following checklist provides guidance on preparedness, response, and recovery actions.