Today’s education institutions face a wide range of risks: from campus security and safety, to compliance/government regulations and cyber security.
Marsh's Education Practice understands the education environment and its unique exposures faced by school boards, higher education, and research institutions. These risks can damage an institution’s reputation, profitability, and even viability in the face of increasing public and government demand for board and trustee accountability.
Taking a consultative approach to risk management, we help institutions better understand their risks. Our risk assessment capabilities — backed by our dynamic risk mapping technology — help you benchmark, quantify, and manage your financial and operational exposures.
We combine consulting expertise with insurance placement tactics, providing a holistic solution for assessing risks, accessing proper, cost-effective insurance, and managing claims.
In addition to campus security and regulatory compliance issues, colleges and universities must also safeguard against liabilities involving on-campus activities, substances (chemical, biological, nuclear) and cyber risks — whether in the form of personal information hacks or professional espionage attacks on research and intellectual property.
For public education systems, we offer numerous risk assessment and management solutions for reducing total cost of risk, including:
- Property, casualty, and financial and professional liability coverage.
- Loss control.
- Alternative financing options (captive, trust, reciprocal, etc.).
- Actuarial review.
- Cyber liability risk assessment, advisory, and placement for schools.
In addition, some of the strategic, operational, and hazard exposures we assess and help manage on behalf of our college and university clients, are:
- Student activities and sponsored events.
- Athletic liabilities including traumatic brain injury.
- International travel and study-abroad programs.
- Campus violence.
- Allegations of hazing, harassment, discrimination, and tenure issues.
- Intellectual property, clinical trials and technology transfer.
- Regulatory compliance and board accountability.
- Pollution exposures.
Marsh has extensive expertise developing comprehensive errors and omissions liability, general liability, and accident insurance programs for school boards and their trustees.
An effective risk management program will serve to reduce the a Boards’ exposure to claims, avoid time consuming, distracting and potentially embarrassing litigation, enhance the defense of claims that are put forth, attract qualified trustees and facilitate acquisition of broad based, reasonably priced insurance.