Global Expertise and Professionalism in Support of Superior Risk Management Performance
The demand for petroleum products, gas, and petrochemicals is increasing globally. This is leading to multi-billion dollar investments in new and expanded oil refineries, petrochemical complexes, liquefied natural gas (LNG) plants, gas processing plants with associated pipelines, and plants utilizing gas for creating gas liquids and fertilizers. In support of these investments, companies are requiring more broker expertise than ever before close to their operations.
Marsh has substantial downstream energy resources positioned globally to provide insurance, broking services, and solutions. This team delivers superior risk management advice and transactional excellence for both projects and operational facilities.
Why are we different?
- A truly global marketing approach combined with local service focus close to your business
- Ability to deliver best practice advice according to your downstream operation
- Sophisticated risk engineering services alongside our service teams
- Unique project risk management service profile
- Dedicated energy-focused claims management
- Wide range of risk support services in the form of risk analysis, captive management advice, valuation of assets, risk mapping, risk management processes, benchmarking, and training
- Quality expertise available on directors and officers, environmental, trade credit transactions, and mergers and acquisition activity
Our clients include many of the world’s leading oil, gas, and petrochemical companies and multi-national groups. Areas of risk protection in which we have experienced client advisers include:
- Energy property insurance – our global presence and established relationships enable us to deliver creative, competitively priced, and tailor-made solutions. Our engineering team provides the highest quality technical underwriting reports to enable continual premium efficiency and risk improvement.
- Project insurance – we arrange comprehensive protection for all types of construction projects. Our unique project risk management service helps clients attract finance, manage exposures, and reduce costs of risk right from the start of projects.
- Casualty protection – our casualty specialists design programs and access global markets to respond to the complex liability and pollution risk exposures inherent in energy industries. We work locally to ensure that programs comply with statutory requirements and arrange excess covers to provide the widest level of protection.
A Complete Service
Our approach is centred on five critical building blocks:
- Comprehensive assessment of risk exposures including business interruption
- Cost-effective program design, incorporating innovative risk financing alternatives, policy wording design, and analysis to meet the specific needs of our clients
- Placement of programs with secure and experienced underwriters, on terms and at premium rates which reflect our position as the largest producer of energy business to downstream energy insurance markets
- Application of sophisticated loss prevention and risk control services, including those relating to environmental liabilities
- Provision of dedicated claims advocacy from initial claims assessment through to post-loss recovery
Covering Every Type and Size of Operation
- Processing risks refineries
- Upstream petrochemicals (e.g. olefins and aromatics)
- Downstream petrochemicals
- LNG liquefaction plants and terminals
- Gas processing plants
- Gas utilzation including methanol, fertilizers, and gas to gas liquids (GGTL) plants
- Midstream operations including oil and gas pipelines
- Tank farms and terminals for crude, gas, and petroleum products
- Biofuels production
- Transit risks by road, rail, or sea
- Trading risks, including inventory risk and trade credit
Size Is Not an Issue
Our service is tailored for:
- Single location operations and new projects
- Companies with diverse portfolios of integrated assets
- National oil companies
- International oil companies
Our service will be locally focused, but will provide the benefits of a truly global placement service. We have wide ranging knowledge of risk transfer alternatives—captive schemes, the mutuals, OIL, OCIL and AEGIS, and regional flexibility in approaching all the key energy markets.
Risk Engineering Services
Our large energy risk engineering practice comprises experienced chemical engineers located worldwide. The geographic spread of the team and diversity of our clients in the downstream sector means we are uniquely positioned to provide risk benchmarking and loss prevention advice based on global perspective and experience base. Our team has comprehensive procedures to ensure consistency in the quantification of risk exposures and the benchmarking of risk quality. Our reports are widely acclaimed by clients and insurance markets and our engineers are individually respected for the quality of independent advice they provide to their clients. Our team includes business interruption specialists who maintain a deep understanding of client’s business risk profiles.