Marsh is a global leader in insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions, Marsh’s 30,000 colleagues advise individual and commercial clients of all sizes in over 130 countries. Marsh is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), the leading global professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With annual revenue over US$14 billion and nearly 65,000 colleagues worldwide, MMC helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading firms. In addition to Marsh, MMC is the parent company of Guy Carpenter, Mercer, and Oliver Wyman. Follow Marsh on Twitter @MarshGlobal; LinkedIn; Facebook; and YouTube, or subscribe to BRINK.
The History of Marsh
Marsh has a rich heritage, spanning 140 years. Over our long and distinguished history, we have built up an incredible knowledge base to address tomorrow’s most challenging risks.
Under the name Marsh & McLennan Companies, Marsh has existed since 1871 and has been a pioneer in risk and insurance services for over 130 years. Throughout, we have demonstrated our industry leadership in numerous ways.
- We introduced the concept of the insurance broker acting as a buyer of insurance on behalf of clients, rather than as a seller of insurance. Today, we continue to add new value for clients through innovative insurance programmes and efficient placement processes.
- We pioneered the concept of self-insurance, with associated risk management actions to mitigate exposures.
- We were the first broker to send risk experts to a catastrophe site - San Francisco in the aftermath of the earthquake. We are leaders today in evaluating catastrophe risk for clients and using the latest catastrophe modelling techniques.
- We arranged the first 'space-bound' life insurance coverage for Mercury astronauts. Currently, Marsh has the largest Aviation account world-wide.
- We introduced a suite of merger and acquisition solutions covering tax opinions, representations and warranties, and litigation buyouts to facilitate transactions and enhance their value.
In New Zealand we have been operating since 1958 and have over 240 experienced staff in over ten offices throughout New Zealand.