We're sorry but your browser is not supported by Marsh.com

For the best experience, please upgrade to a supported browser:



Occasional Business Use Motor Insurance

Occasional business use (OBU) motor insurance from Marsh not only provides comprehensive annual cover for the total number of staff who are eligible to drive on behalf of the school, but the all important peace of mind for the parents.

A school is a very busy community, with a multitude of activities taking place at different times of day. Occasionally, some of these activities occur away from the school and require the support of staff or authorised volunteers such as parents or guardians of pupils attending the school to provide the necessary transport by using their own cars on school business.

However, if you are ever faced with a situation where you require a member of staff to “fill in” and provide transport at short notice it is important to ensure they, and you, are properly insured.

Marsh currently provides OBU cover for more than 2000 schools, academies and colleges.

Occasional business use motor insurance enables schools to cover those ad-hoc occasions when employees or authorised voluntary helpers (including parents or guardians of pupils attending the school) are required to use their own cars on school business.

OBU motor insurance for schools, features include:

  • Automatic OBU cover included for staff and their spouses, governors, parents and guardians.
  • Protection is provided against legal liability for injuries to other persons (including passengers) or damage to their property following an accident.
  • Full windscreen damage cover is included with no excess.
  • Policyholders will also benefit from an approved repair network, with repairs backed by a lifetime guarantee on all work undertaken.


The total annual premium for this insurance is calculated using the total number of school staff eligible to drive.

School Vehicle Motor Insurance

From single vehicle to large fleets, Marsh can arrange tailored cover for your school that can include both use and breakdown cover for the UK and Europe. We are also able to provide cover for a wide range of vehicle types, including cars, mini-buses and coaches, as well as agricultural machinery and trailers.