There are many risk financing alternatives available to organizations today. Forming a pure captive or joining a group captive may not be a preferred option for a variety of reasons, in which case an efficient and cost effective cell captive may be an ideal solution. Cell captives are a popular alternative to a single parent captive due to the ease of implementation and lower operating costs. Cell facilities are structured to create a legal separation of assets and liabilities between the individual cells. Companies participating in the Isosceles and Mangrove cell captive facilities are insulated from the loss experience, liabilities, and credit risks of other participants. Consequently, participants can avoid potential costs, such as additional premium requirements or capital outlays that could arise in group captive arrangements when other participating firms have poor loss experience or more volatile risk profiles.
A cell captive facility provides a licensed insurance vehicle or “cell” with the necessary infrastructure for clients to participate in their own risks through a captive program. The insured operating company effectively rents the use of the cell.
A cell captive is particularly suited to:
- Financing risk where losses, such as workers’ compensation or auto liability, are predictable.
- Acting as a fronting structure to access the reinsurance markets.
- Collateralized (re)insurance, including insurance linked securities, weather derivatives, and more.
- Companies seeking to direct write/front in the EU or non-EU/European Economic Area (EEA) captives.
- Situations where market conditions may force retaining or funding less predictable risks.
- Companies seeking to reinsure fronted insurance business, for example, managing general agent (MGA)/managing general underwriter (MGU) companies and fronted customer/employee programs.
- Companies needing to segregate risks associated with a specific project, division, joint-venture, or strategic alliance.
Marsh Captive Solutions offers cell captive facility participants the expertise and knowledge provided by a global network of captive colleagues.
Choosing the Right Domicile
Marsh Cell Captive Facilities Locations