Professional Liability Insurance Program for Accountants: 2017-2018
Since its launch in 2009, the Marsh Accountants Professional Liability Insurance (APLI) Program has provided Canadian accountants with best-in-class insurance coverage. Unlike most other policies, the Marsh APLI policy does not exclude or restrict the coverage of certain core services offered by a Canadian accountant. Please read more about the policy differentiators below. That section provides details regarding coverages that are automatically included in each and every Marsh APLI policy — and generally not found in those of our competitors.
- Worldwide Territory - For services rendered and claims jurisdiction.
- Outside Directorship Liability - Automatic coverage for all directorship positions held at not-for-profit boards.
- Sole Cheque Signing Authority for Client Accounts - Not limited to services provided as a receiver, trustee in bankruptcy, or an executor.
- Control of Client Funds - As related to the services provided.
- Professional Services - Provided to entities in which an insured has an ownership Interest, provided full written disclosure to the client is made of such interest prior to services being performed.
- Expert Witness Testimony Coverage.
- Peer Review Services - No restrictions or reduced limits.
- Disciplinary/Regulatory Defence Costs - $25,000/claim; $100,000 aggregate.
- Summons Response and Legal Advice/Assistance - $25,000 per claim/aggregate.
- Income Reimbursement for Attending Court - Coverage in relation to claims insured under the policy for up to $1,000 per day for partners; $200/day for other employees.
- Professional Corporations - Automatically included for insured persons.
- Fees Withheld by a Client - Subject to the limits/retentions as outlined in the policy.
A coverage limit of up to $20,000,000 is immediately available. Please contact us regarding higher limit requests.
Coverage For Other Risk Exposures
To address other unique exposures that face accountants, Marsh Canada has negotiated additional optional coverages which complement the APLI offering.
Cyber and Privacy Breach Protection
This policy dovetails with the APLI policy and helps protect your firm with respect to its liability for claims resulting from a breach of your client’s confidentiality and/or privacy.
Fraud and Employee Dishonesty Protection
A Fraud and Employee Dishonesty policy protects the firm from fraud committed against it either by someone outside of the firm or by an employee. Coverage is also extended to include the theft of client funds within the firm’s control, whether by an employee of the firm or someone outside of the firm. As an accountant, and particularly one providing assurance services, you are likely aware of how pervasive fraud has become. Remember that accountants are not immune from fraud.
Tax Audit Fee Insurance (TAFI)
TAFI is a coverage that has only been available in Canada since 2014, but it certainly has the capacity to help protect your firm. For example, if one of your clients, for whom your firm has provided preparation or filing of a tax return, becomes the subject of a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) audit, the TAFI policy coverage would respond. The TAFI policy would pay to your firm, on behalf of your client, the fees that client would ordinarily have incurred in retaining your firm to manage the entire CRA audit and its subsequent negotiations and appeals.
Marsh Canada is an insurance broker representing you as the policyholder, not the insurer(s).
Marsh’s Claims Department is staffed by highly qualified claims professionals who work to manage the claim process for our clients, keeping you informed, and advocating on your behalf.
Each APLI policy is underwritten by a panel of “A” rated insurance companies that take a fixed percentage share of each policy issued:
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company as represented by Liberty International Underwriters (Lead) – 30%.
- AXIS Reinsurance Company (Canadian Branch) – 25%.
- XL Specialty Insurance Company – 10%.
- Trisura Guarantee Insurance Company – 10%.
- Lloyds of London (Vibe - Syndicate 5678) – 10%.
- Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company – 15%.
Using a panel of insurance companies provides market stability and reduces reliance upon any one particular insurance company.
- Each cyber policy is underwritten by Beazley Canada Limited – 100%.
Fraud and Employee Dishonesty
- Fraud and Employee Dishonesty policies are underwritten by Everest Insurance Company of Canada – 100%.
- TAFI policies are underwritten by DAS Legal Protection Insurance Company Limited – 100%.
Want to apply or need more information?
Please contact your Marsh Canada Limited licensed insurance broker:
Telephone: 1 855 897 5966 or 416 349 4727
Information in this brochure represents a synopsis of coverage and is provided as a reference only. The actual policy, including endorsements determines coverage. It contains exclusions, limitations and other provisions not referenced (or only briefly summarized) here and the policy should be consulted for full coverage terms, conditions and requirements. Deductibles may apply. For exact terms, definitions, limitations, and exclusions, please speak with your licensed Marsh Canada Limited insurance broker, or refer to the policy wording.